Thursday, May 6, 2010

Museum

Museum Assignment

Upon my visit to the Boise Art Museum I viewed quite an array of exhibits. On their own each exhibit could appear extremely individual with nothing to do with the next. But, in my eyes as a whole they are all cohesive. All great reminders and beautiful examples of what we might call traditional Americana. Among them, Patchwork: historic Quilts from the collection of the Idaho Historical Museum, Kid Stuff, and Corrugated: Sculpture by Ann Weber.
First, I would like to discuss "Patchwork." Of course, this would be the most obvious example of Americana. There are many different styles of quilts created by several different artists from the nineteenth century, all women. These women of the period would create these works of art for many reasons. Not only for warmth on their beds or to dress up and add color to their homes. They would also sell them for fundraisers to got towards future patriotic celebrations. Such as our nation's first centennial.
Many of these quilts were in a very common color scheme. What other than red, white, and blue. One in particular, "E Pluribus Unum/ The Union Forever," made by Mary Perin Pearce, was made of applique and pieced together cotton. It is a prime example of patriotic celebration. Common iconography of the time is used in this piece, stars, stripes, and eagles. The title words are also displayed on the quilt. The artist created it in 1875, the year before and in celebration of our nation's centennial.
My favorite quilt work was brightly colored in oranges, yellows, and golds. It's maker is unknown and probably created it around 1905, according to it's label. It was given the name "Cigar Bundle Band Pillow Cover." Simply because it was made of beautiful silk cigar-bundle ribbons. the brand names on the labels are mostly in blacks and reds. It was my favorite quilt not only because it's color scheme is one I favor. Also, because it reminds me of a common modern style of art I enjoy doing myself, collage.
Next I will discuss Corrugated: Sculpture by Ann Weber. She uses cardboard, staples, and shellac in most of her works. Some contained steel bases. Two pieces I was drawn to were because they made me feel like I was in a cardboard Wonderland. Come to find out their names were exactly that. "Curiouser, and Curiouser," (2008) a line Alice says in her adventures, and "Wonderland" (2008) These large pieces make you feel like a tiny Alice among flowers that are like giants

No comments:

Post a Comment